Charles W. Morgan

“In the spring of 1941, Captain Claude S. Tucker began working for Taylor Marine Construction, located on Middle Street in Fairhaven….Mr. Taylor needed a consultant to help him move the whaleship Charles W. Morgan from South Dartmouth to Mystic, Connecticut.  The Marine Historical Association there had purchased the Morgan with the intention of making her the centerpiece of a new outdoor museum.”

Charles W. Morgan whaleship

Waiting for high tide to break her free… See more images below.

“Captain Tucker first had to bring the Morgan to Fairhaven and ready her so that the old whaleship would be seaworthy enough to make the trip.  He could not simply tow the Morgan to Fairhaven, however.  The venerable whaleship required removal from her current home, partially submerged in the sand and surrounded by a cofferdam at the shoreline at Round Hill, the South Dartmouth estate of…Colonel Green.”

“In time, the whaleship was retrieved and brought to Union Warf in Fairhaven.  On November 5, 1941, the Morgan departed Union Wharf with Captain Tucker, the only professional mariner aboard, and a crew of eleven.  William H. Tripp, curator of the New Bedford Whaling Museum, served as master of the ship.  Historian and newspaperman Everett S. Allen signed on as “boatsteerer” and recorded his own observations and sentiments.  Taylor provided the rest of the crew.”

From The Last of the Fairhaven Coasters: The Story of Captain Claude S. Tucker & the Schooner Coral by Robert Demanche, Donald F. Tucker & Caroline B. Tucker


rope

The towing of the Charles W. Morgan
from Union Wharf, Fairhaven, November 5, 1941